Volunteers are required to work with their assigned child for a minimum of four hours per month. Additionally, volunteers must attend initial training as well as follow-up training events throughout the school year. Continuing training along with monthly meetings allow for volunteers to successfully mentor their assigned child as well as supporting the mission of Pals Student Mentors.
During each month, group events are scheduled in order to allow the volunteers and children to interact with each other in activities with other members of the Pals program. Monthly meetings/trainings are at 9pm on the same day of the week each month which will be determined by the start of the fall semester on the Allendale campus and mandatory for all volunteers. Please be sure that you are able to meet the following requirements before applying to the program
- Current Grand Valley State University student
- Pay $5 application fee during the interview
- Attend a day-long training session on September 29th.
- Pledge a minimum of a full academic year commitment (October-April) with the option to continue mentoring throughout the summer months through a variety of direct and indirect means
- Dedicate to spending a minimum four hours a month with your assigned child
- Submit to on-going background investigations
- Attend monthly training events
- Attend monthly group events
- Keep coordinator up-to-date on your assigned child